MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

4 posters

What Are Your Thoughts Concerning Windows 10

woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

What Are Your Thoughts Concerning Windows 10 Empty What Are Your Thoughts Concerning Windows 10

Post by woofiedog Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:48 am

It is finally time to either swim or sink with W10 while it is still free. Neutral

What really bother's me is that I've done some more research and reading of different articles and such and it seems that Microsoft still has not debugged it's W10 download or the operating system completely yet? scratch

Also I do not own a cell phone or smart phone or etc and neither do I have a touch screen. So what would I really gain from changing my W7 Pro 64bit operating system to W10 Pro 64bit?

Here is just one of the latest articles concerning recent W10 problems... Windows 10’s broken fall update removes user-installed applications without asking first.

November 25, 2015

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They say in this article that AMD graphic cards are or will be a problem for W10 and that is what I have for a graphic's card???

Quote... Second, Microsoft’s “solution” may well make the problem worse. AMD’s graphics cards depend on the Catalyst Control Center (or the brand-new Radeon Crimson software stack) to function properly. Remove those applications and you can still load a basic video driver, but you’ve locked the end-user out of all of AMD’s advanced options for controlling monitor settings, 3D applications, or video color and stability controls

One more article... What’s the Deal with Windows Update?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote... In Windows 10, updates are mandatory and more automatized than in previous Windows versions. Some Windows 10 editions include the option to defer upgrades for a limited time. Security updates however are excluded from this option; everyone receives them automatically.

Meanwhile, Windows 10 Home users have to deal with all updates and upgrades being downloaded and installed in the background, often combined with a scheduled reboot. Security patches, new features, and settings changes are force-fed alike, some bordering bloat- and adware. The only time when updates won’t auto-download is when the device is on a metered connection.

So I'm still on the fence about this system change and just wanted to get some more recent opinions from anyone here who has upgraded to W10.

Thank's  Neutral
    Lord Haw-Haw
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

What Are Your Thoughts Concerning Windows 10 Empty Re: What Are Your Thoughts Concerning Windows 10

Post by Lord Haw-Haw Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:42 am

I'll pay for Win10 when it's mature. I don't enjoy messing with the PC's as I use too.*

The only thing I have researched about Win10 was getting rid of the Win10 taskabar update reminder -remove the Win7 update KB3035583 and never install it.

I've always gotten Windows working pretty good even the hated ME, did DOS for the longest, tried and skipped Win3 (here is where I learned not to jump too fast in updating), did Win95/98, XP, skipped Vista and 8.  

My latest machines I bought on-line custom built* (haven't done that since a 286-16Mhz) and had to pay extra for 7 vs a free 8 os.

...I still use a Win95 machine for an automated test fixture, new software license is over $5K a year, works great and have saved over $60K -does minefield @ 60FPS Razz

I think if there is an application that will make me money and it is truly a "Win10 only app" I would do the jump at that moment!
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

What Are Your Thoughts Concerning Windows 10 Empty Re: What Are Your Thoughts Concerning Windows 10

Post by woofiedog Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:04 am

Lord Haw-Haw... thank's for the reply. It sort of makes me think of the old saying... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Maybe if I did have such things a cell phone or smart phone or etc, then I'd could see where W10 would be a good choice. But as it is I'm very happy with W7 Pro and matter of fact, really did like XP Pro I had for my old rig.

I know frinik has stated that he has updated with W10 and is pretty much happy with it.

But as you stated... I'll pay for Win10 when it's mature.

I believe your correct with that and I'll be pass up this offer up even if it is free. As I really do not see W10 benefiting my computer or me in anyway at the moment.

Again thank's for the reply. Smile

frinik
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:43 am

I have Windows 10 on 2 laptops and one desktop and over all I am fairly happy with it. I would say that it's as user friendly and light as Windows 7 and a definite improvement over Windows 8/8.1. The boot time is faster than for Windows 7 and you don't have to contend with the periodic Windows Update which sometimes did not go well and could end up corrupting your hard drive. I liked Windows 7 but I can see the writing on the wall and decided to switch as sooner or later Windows 10 will be the only way to go as far as mainstream OS are concerned and  all the benefits that will ensue when MS switches to Direct X12 replacing Direct X 11 will come with Win 10 only.

Re the AMD issue I have an ATI HD 7750 on my desktop and I have downloaded the new crimson catalyst and the latest AMD driver (15.11 something) and both work fine. I actually noticed gains in fps with the latest driver when playing SF, Arma 2/3 and Fallout 4.

Just be careful with the horror stories you only to Google to read apocalyptic blogs about everything and exaggerations spread by people with little knowledge about they are talking about or repeating apocryphal stories or urban legends.

Yes Microsoft has a heavy hand and I wish Android could be replicated on pcs to give them a run for their money and introduce real competition but it's not going to happen so we have to live with Windows 10 or sticks with Windows 7 until we realise that we may have to upgrade anyway and have to pay for it. Anyway as a reminder even after upgrading to Windows 10 you can still switch back to Windows 7.There' is such a feature in Windows 10 which allows you go back to your previous OS.

Every time an innovation comes along they are tons of people unhappy with it and a trail of horror stories etc. If you Google Windows XP and other previous OS I am sure you'll find the same . I still have Vista installed on an old satellite laptop and that OS was truly a pain to use. Terrible interface and after Windows XP a real downgrade I felt it was. But you know what? I got used to it and I don't mind it. It's all the attitude.... cheers
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:30 pm

frinik... Just be careful with the horror stories you only to Google to read apocalyptic blogs

I did my best to sort through those make believe horror stories & apocalyptic blogs, much like junk mail when you open your mail box these days.  And want to thank you for your reply and experiences you have had so far with W10.  And sure W10 has some good quality's and the bugs will be straighten out as have the other systems such as XP and even W7 were over time.

Why I posted the W10 question again was as you stated above and I wanted to hear some real input from people to help make a sound decision about whether or not to install the update.

But again, I can see no real advantage for me at this time in using W10 over W7. And why I posted here on the forum was that some of the best advice over the years about computers for me, has been these forums. As here on this forum and some other forums, you are dealing with real people that are really using their computers for a propose and not just sitting around bad mouthing everything that comes around for the sake of it.  

So I have pretty much made my mind up now and whether it is a good or bad decision, only time will tell for sure.

Again I want to thank you for the reply's and information you have posted. Smile
    Pointer
    Pointer

Post by Pointer Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:30 pm

frinik wrote: Anyway as a reminder even after upgrading to Windows 10 you can still switch back to Windows 7.There' is such a feature in Windows 10 which allows you go back to your previous OS.
    What is the character of this feature: deinstaller, degrader, virtual machine or boot selector?
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:35 pm

No idea what it is exactly but I saw it in the control panel. My suspicion is that it reinstalls the OS to manufacturers default.

Anyway I wasn't trying to sway anybody with my tales about Windows 10 simply stating my own experience. I wasn't enthused at the beginning but now I am happy I did. But to everyone their own and my experience does not necessarily amount to iron-clad success for all. I have yet another machine to convert which I will do by Xmas.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:23 am