May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

4 posters

Thoughts about GTOS

Technopiper

Thoughts about GTOS Empty Thoughts about GTOS

Post by Technopiper Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:21 pm

This is my, what second week? third week? into GTOS... I lost track. Now I'm begining to see the gist of the game. The core of this game is a tank sim. GTOS builded it up from there and gets a wargame. The term "simulation" is generally used to describe highly realistic wargames. GTOS, however, is literally a wargame build upon a simulation engine.

I've found that vehicles AI can handle themselves in most situations, it just can't handle player orders very well. Many times it would execute the orders to the letter, often exposing itself to danger. I've found that this can be corrected by simply canceling all commands ("x"). The vehicle will correct itself, turning to face the enemy, even retreating by itself. This means, of course, that you have to micromanage. If you can accept that in a wargame, you may enjoy GTOS.

I have fought a number of purely infantry encounters. They reminded me of the old boardgame Squad Leader by Avalon Hill. I was crazy over that game for a while. Advance Squad Leader never caught on for me, it's just too much work. GTOS is a hundred times more complicated, but the beauty of computer games is that you don't have to do all the dirty work (rules, rules, and more rules). I still play board wargames, just not tactical level wargames. Besides I don't ever want to see a "hex" again!

Thoughts about GTOS Sl10
    lockie
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Thoughts about GTOS Empty Re: Thoughts about GTOS

Post by lockie Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:47 pm

This is excellent posters! I like it! Cool
    Hope Steel Achtung sooner or later will receive an addition as a tanksim. Where tactics part will have a second role.
    Technopiper

Post by Technopiper Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:40 am

lockie wrote:This is excellent posters! I like it! Cool
    Hope Steel Achtung sooner or later will receive an addition as a tanksim. Where tactics part will have a second role.
    Click here for full size: Thoughts about GTOS Pic23211

In the old days, they ask real artists to do game boxes or movie posters. Today we have professional designers...

GTOS has so many potentials. Maybe an option to jump in any of the vehicles under your command? Would that be possible? Twenty years ago someone said: we can have a wargame where each player becomes an infantry, controls one tank, or an aircraft. My response was: nah~~
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:42 am

Use to play a few of the Avalon Hill board games, really excellent games although you need a "lot of time" or a good snow storm that you need to wait out. And another person that is also inclined for the learning curve and again with some spare time. LoL Shocked

Still have my copies of France 1940, Luftwaffe and Stalingrad, plus a few others such as Wake Island and War in the Falklands.
    frinik
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:44 am

I used to play Avalon Hill games too in the 70s when they were all the rage in strategy games. I still have 3rd Reich and France 1940 somewhere. Good company but unfortunately they went downhill in the 80s...
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:56 pm

A little tattered after all of these years, but still complete with nothing missing. Very Happy

Thoughts about GTOS Picture_or_Video_003

Technopiper

Post by Technopiper Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:01 pm

Sweet! Give me some time to sort out my collection.... I know they must be around here SOMEwhere...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 2:57 am