4 posters

Windows 10 Free

woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Windows 10  Free Empty Windows 10 Free

Post by woofiedog Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:46 am

Received a message on my rig about updating to Windows 10 for free today, more about the story.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kicking off the consumer-focused Windows 10 event in Redmond on Tuesday, January 21, Microsoft operating system chief Terry Myerson announced that current users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to the new operating system for free as long as they do so within one year of Windows 10's launch.

Once you’ve claimed the upgrade, it's permanent, and Microsoft will keep you updated for the supported lifetime of the device.
    frinik
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Windows 10  Free Empty Re: Windows 10 Free

Post by frinik Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:56 am

Apparently Microsoft is so keen on people switching to Win 10 that even those with pirated copies of Win 7 or 8/8.1 will be given the possibility of switching to Win 10.There are talks that Windows 10 would eventually become free like Android and would receive small infrequent upgrades like Android .

IU think Microsoft is seeing the writing on the wall. Should Android or another free OS ever move into their field they would be doomed because people would switch to the free OS. I think they want to be ahead of the curve and ensure they dominate the traditional pc/notebook market and possibly attack the faster growing mobile and small format( tablets and hybrids)markets with free Win 10 against Android.
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:35 pm

Frink quote... Microsoft is seeing the writing on the wall.

I read something to that effect a while back in either PC world or Tom's Hardware. But as I don't have a cell phone or smart phone and have no plans or reason with owning one. I'm hesitant with even the free offer of Windows 10.

Will have to read up more to see if it will benefit me over what I have now, which is W7 Pro.
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Woofie I the to be the harbinger of bad news but my hunch is that if you don't take advantage of the upgrade to Win 10 during that year it ;s free I suspect Microsoft will find other ways of twisting the arms of those who decided to stick with Windows 7.They will simply announce that by 2017 they will stop supporting that OS effectively making it obsolete. Me too I like Win 7 very much but realistically I think I'll switch to Windows 10 just to make sure I am not left with an unsupported OS. Sitting on the fence may have a price.
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:56 pm

Frink quote...  I suspect Microsoft will find other ways of twisting the arms of those who decided to stick with Windows 7

Yes, I was afraid of that, as with the case of the rotary phone which is still just fine by me, really don't answer the digital one we have hanging on the kitchen wall as it is now, unless it's one of our kids or family.

After a bit of foot dragging and stalling, I'll have to cave in before the deadline.  Sad
    Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:48 pm

The "get Windows 10" icon has placed itself unbidden on my icon bar by the clock and it can't be gotten rid of. That's enough impertinence to cause me to ignore it. The downside of constant os change is the plethora of programs that won't work properly with new versions of the os.
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:48 pm

tanker quote... The "get Windows 10" icon has placed itself unbidden on my icon bar by the clock and it can't be gotten rid of

Same thing that I'm getting. Years back with my old rig that had XP Pro, I went with one of Windows suggested upgrades and lost just about 60% of my files. Of course they were very apologetic and helped me get my rig back running again, but that did not bring my files back from oblivion. Neutral
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:02 pm

An article concerning the free "W10 upgrade" that you might want to check out and read. Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For myself, I'm waiting for more information to come out before changing what I have now, W7 Pro.

Update: July 30, 2015. Great quote from Windows expert Susan Bradley "... you should wait to install Win10 on your primary or production PCs ... Let tech writers and equally insane Windows users install Win10 first and report what they find."
    Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:12 pm

From what I understand, MS has turned win10 into a Big Brother tool from 1984. Updates are downloaded automatically with no control from the user and stats and info are sent to MS.
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:22 am

See it in a positive light ;you won't have to be prompted to do the upgrades they'll be done for you. I like that. Anyway they are not forcing you to upgrade to Windows 10 .You can still stick with Win 7 or 8.1 support will last a few more years for these OS. Or just go Linux.
    Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:06 am

Of course they are forcing you to upgrade if they cease support for the OS that you have.  Just like they did for xp.  Anyone buying a new pc will have win 10.  I see nothing positive about being given no choice or options of how you do updates.  Some updates for win7 have really screwed things up and if you prefer to wait and see how updates will pan out you'll be out of luck with win10.

When linux is sufficiently supported by developers and becomes as easy to use as windows is I would love to see ms os ditched.
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:57 pm

Tanker... Updates are downloaded automatically with no control from the user and stats and info are sent to MS.

Agree fully, that this is nothing but a "Big Brother tool" that really makes me think why do I need this upgrade when the operating system I have is working just fine.

Yes, just like W XP they will drop support. So by then I will probably need a new computer and hopefully Microsoft will have straighten out all of the bugs in W10 or drop it like Vista and have a spanking new OS for us up on those wonderful Amazon store shelves. Laughing

frinik... Or just go Linux.

I heard how wonderful Linux is over the years and looked into it for the operating system for my old computer at the time, but almost everyone of those same people that I knew were using Linux are now back using Windows or have duel operating systems? Wink
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Of course they are forcing you to upgrade if they cease support for the OS that you have.

They are going to keep supporting Windows 7 until 2020 and Windows 8.1 until 2023 I think so no cause for panic.

As for Linux I don't use it myself and I am not interested but not surprised it's not a viable alternative to MS.

You have to see it from Microsoft point of view; they're a business .Having multiple OS to support for years costs money and in the end makes updates difficult as you have to tailor each of them for a different OS : XP, Vista, Windows & Win 8 & 8.1 so having a single OS will make support easier and cheaper and for us it will be beneficial because they will be able to muster all their resources solving any bug or security issue. Not to mention that thanks to Directs X 12 gamers and heavy users will benefit from accrued performance.
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:32 pm

frinik...  They are going to keep supporting Windows 7 until 2020

I'll be more than happy if I'm still walking, talking and taking nourishment by 2020.

Yes, every new day I wake up from bed is a good one at my age! cheers
    Technopiper

Post by Technopiper Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:26 am

I must be one of those rare, happy users of Windows 8.1 Laughing . I am withholding upgrade to Windows 10 because of its inability to defer updates. I never let the OS update itself, not with 8 or 8.1, though I did make the jump between the two. I asked myself: if I won't be updating anyway, why should I be concerned about M$ stopping its support? My guess is Windows 10 will eventually be freely available to all. So I don't worry about not making the jump in the one year grace period.

About Windows 8. I hated it with a passion for the first couple of weeks that I had it. Until I came across a freeware called OblyTile that allows you to create you own "Metro tiles", then I see Eight's logic: why put all programs into a small box in the lower left hand corner, when you have the entire screen?

Guess which is "Steel Fury"?  tongue
    Windows 10  Free Tiger11
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:41 am

How old are you Woofie?

Personally I learnt to like Win 8.1.Yes compared to Win 7 it wasn't as user-friendly but I got over it and adapted. As for Win 10 I am waiting for a few months until I am sure all the bugs have been kinked out then I'll probably switch! Long live Big Brother! cheers
    Technopiper

Post by Technopiper Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:24 am

I'm no lover of Micro$oft, but I believe it got more than a fair share of bad press. I don't see it so much as an Illuminati that's trying to take over my brain than a clumsy jerk in a business suit.
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:30 am

frinik... How old are you Woofie?

I'm old enough to remember looking out my second grade classroom window, thinking that I would some how be able to see Alan Shepard's space capsule take off for America's first space launch. LoL Laughing

frinik... Personally I learnt to like Win 8.1.Yes compared to Win 7 it wasn't as user-friendly but I got over it and adapted.

Are you not quoting a George Orwell book?  Wink

"He gazed up at the enormous face [the Windows 10 screen saver.]. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache [to learn how to use the operating system.].

O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast!

Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose.

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished.

He had won the victory over himself.

He loved Big Brother. [He loved Windows 10... but they were now forcing him to use Windows 12]"
        cheers
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:02 pm

Technopiper... I don't see it so much as an Illuminati that's trying to take over my brain than a clumsy jerk in a business suit.

Like the way you summarize the subject... but would like to add one more "1984" quote to what you stated. Wink

And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed -if all records told the same tale — then the lie passed into history and became truth. cheers

frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:10 pm

I'm old enough to remember looking out my second grade classroom window, thinking that I would some how be able to see Alan Shepard's space capsule take off for America's first space launch. LoL Laughing

I guess we 're about the same age. I just turned 59 in July.

No I wasn't quoting Orwell as much as Doctor Strangelove or How I learned to love the bomb... Laughing

I know you will grow to love Windows 10.It's a lie but believe me in 5 years you'll accept it as the truth.... Twisted Evil
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:21 pm

frinik... I know you will grow to love Windows 10.It's a lie but believe me in 5 years you'll accept it as the truth

LoL... And maybe, just maybe, in 5 year's time I'll also go out and buy a cell phone or one of those newfangled smart phones.

Just so I can say I have one.

And I'll place it next to my phone that hangs on the wall and simultaneous they can both ring on and on, in harmony mind you, until someone, yes someone finally picks them up and answers them or for that matter, time it's self ends. Razz

frinik... I guess we 're about the same age. I just turned 59 in July.

Almost... I'm more than a few years older. Guess you can sum up being older this way, all of those wonderful youthful ideas and actions are now showing up and knocking at the door for a full payment to the piper for having fun.

Or you can pretty much say... Everything hurts and what doesn't hurt doesn't work. Laughing
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Not my case. I am in good shape and I have more energy and resistance than people half my age.
    Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:14 am

frinik wrote:Not my case. I am in good shape and I have more energy and resistance than a lot of people half my age.

I fixed that for you frinik. There is no substitute for youth. Like you I'm in good shape but I would not hesitate to be 30 again (only if my wife and kids could come along also Smile).
    woofiedog
    woofiedog
    TSF Member-Silver Tools
    TSF Member-Silver Tools

Post by woofiedog Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:49 am

frinik...  No I wasn't quoting Orwell as much as Doctor Strangelove or How I learned to love the bomb

Doctor Strangelove or How I learned to love the bomb is an excellent book as far as the characters and the storyline and the movie wasn't too bad either, but found Fail Safe a better reader though. Still have copies of both books and the DVD's.

Tanker... There is no substitute for youth. Like you I'm in good shape but I would not hesitate to be 30 again (only if my wife and kids could come along also

Yes and agree about "there is no substitute for youth". LoL Laughing  But these day's, still won't be carrying two bundles of roofing shingles on my shoulders, all the while climbing up to the roof on a wooden ladder. Those days are well gone. Laughing

Still have a small garden in the back, along with fruit trees that keeps me out of harms way. And coming very soon to a corner near you, the wonderful world of snow removal, which is a great gym work out without the need of a gym, especially when you have a driveway that wraps around the house.

Windows 10  Free Snow_Day
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:59 am

In addition to my gym, I have 2 exuberant boys 9 and 11 to keep me young and in shape.

Ahh snow removal. Haven't done that since the 80ssss.... The closest I have come to that in the last 27 years was in 1997 in Guatemala City when I had to shovel volcanic ash from around my VW Golf to go to work after the Agua volcano erupted covering 80 sq. kilometres of land with up to 15 centimetres of volcanic ash. I remember driving on the city streets that were as slippery as if covered with ice. Didn't realise until then that volcanic ash was slippery. Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:41 am